Follow me on Bloganizer

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

How to Care for Fragile Hair

My hair is fine, very delicate, and a whole lot of trouble! Here are some tricks I've learned to take good care of it :)


1. Everyone knows you shouldn't wash it every day, but here are some ways to make that easier (fine hair gets greasier faster, as we all know).

I first discovered Psssst! when studying Jessica Simpson's hairstyle and following her stylist. It disguises dirty hair and gives dull roots a boost.

 
http://www.drugstore.com/psssst-instant-spray-shampoo/qxp308567

If you get tired of the Psssst scent, there are alternatives. My favorite is Suave dry shampoo. I've been told it smells great, and also been told it smells like a stripper, but guys seem to universally love it...try it out at Target, where they sell two to a pack at a pretty good price.

 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suave-Waterless-Foam-Shampoo-6-oz/20703073

And, of course, there's always the old stand-by: baby powder. (Bonus if you have a baby, because it's always on-hand.) You will smell like a baby and I recommend putting it on before your clothes (you think deodorant white spots are annoying?)... but who doesn't love the smell of babies?

2. Sometimes conditioning and rinsing isn't enough if you use heat products on your hair. I rake some Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask through the tips (without washing it out) before I dry it off and blow-dry.


 


http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Neutrogena%20Triple%20Moisture%20Deep%20Recovery%20Hair%20Mask&adid=22222222224210128769&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=3530880000&wl1=e&wl2=neutrogena%20triple%20moisture%20deep%20recovery%20hair%20mask&wl3=15081325363&veh=sem

And that's not all...

3. There is even more you can do to protect your rapidly splitting ends. I also smooth John Frieda Frizz-Ease all over my strands (again, before blow-drying). Coat and protect!


http://www.walmart.com/ip/John-Frieda-Collection-Frizz-Ease-Extra-Strength-Formula-Hair-Serum-1.69-fl-oz/10309636

There are other things you can do. I've tried egg yolks, olive oil, etc. But as we all know the best way to care for your hair is to prevent breakage. Please, whatever you do, DON'T overuse another John Frieda product, something I abused during pregnancy while trying to save money and prevent salon highlights poisoning my unborn child. It was great at first, but overuse can cause some major damage (I cried, 6 months pregnant, when my hair was breaking off).

https://www.johnfrieda.com/en-US/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Sheer-Blonde/Go-Blonder-Controlled-Lightening-Spray

Stacy Keibler uses it, but probably only 3 weeks before her scheduled hair appointment. Or 3 days, or however long celebrities have to wait before they get seated in their regaled hairstylist's chair.
http://www.multivu.com/mnr/56228-stacy-keibler-john-frieda-to-benefit-hairraising-childrens-hospital-boston
Great in moderation, but NOT a substitute if your roots are down to your ears. Let my lesson be your cautionary tale!
If you are truly desperate to disguise your roots (and broke, as I have been), there are much safer alternatives for your fine, delicate baby hair. Post forthcoming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment